Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Network effects and Government information

I mentioned the new Digital Economy blog. I also referred to the blog tracking it by Verity Pravda.

This lady has been very busy posting to the DE site as well. In a post today she notes the need for the Trade Practices Act to reflect the consequence of "network economies" (by which I guess she means "network effects").

In a speech I gave in February I referred to a consultancy that the then DCITA commissioned on the policy issues of next generation networks. I know one of the authors and he told me that he was stunned at how little departmental officers seemed to understand about the sigificance of network effects.

Thinking of that report in this context intrigued me because that report has not been released - which is interesting in the light of the inclusion of a topic of public access to Government information in the DE blog.

No comments: