Friday, May 20, 2011

The Rapture

I guess since I don't live in the US and see the billboards I can be excused for not knowing about the prediction that The Rapture is happening tomorrow, at least according to Harold Camping.

Evidently it all starts tomorrow with giant earthquakes and then unbelievers dies till October. The evidence has been carefully explained by Scientific American. In brief the dude has decided that 5, 10 and 17 are special numbers and that this Saturday is the square of the product of those numbers days after the day he assigns to the crucifixion of Jesus.

I put a very crude post up about the SBS show Letters and Numbers earlier. That show has two sections - in one you try to make the longest word you can out of the letters randomly drawn. In the other the challenge is to compute a given number out of a similarly randomly drawn set of numbers. This is really what Campling has done.

The prediction reminds me, however, of a plaque my wife and I found in New Zealand once. The plaque is in Windsor Reserve Devenport.

I've previously assumed that it was a plaque to commemorate some previous failed Rapture prediction.  However, I find that I'm not the first person to blog about it and that the plaque itself is an item readily available throughout the US and you can (normally) buy one on line.

Ah well, so ends another mystery (though how the plaque wound up in a public park is still a unexplained).

I think on Monday I'll start selling a line of "On this site on 21 May 2011 nothing happened" plaques.


Novae Meridianae Demetae Dexter delenda est

No comments: